Nightguards for Bruxism – Katy, TX
Safeguarding Smiles While Sleeping
Is your child clenching their teeth when stressed? Do you notice them grinding their teeth while sleeping? If so, Dr. A and his team at Happy Chompers Pediatric Dentistry have a safe and effective solution. By providing nightguards for children in Katy, TX, they can minimize wear and tear on tooth enamel and decrease the risk for chronic jaw pain that is often associated with temporomandibular joint disorder (TMD). Custom-made to fit comfortably inside your child’s mouth, you can rest easier knowing their pearly whites are protected against further injury. Contact our office today to schedule an appointment.
The Purpose of a Nightguard
A nightguard is designed to keep teeth from touching throughout the day or while asleep at night. Known as “bruxism,” teeth grinding is a common problem that occurs in both children and adults, and it can develop as a result of:
- Sleep apnea (sleep-breathing disorder)
- Missing or poorly aligned teeth
- Abnormal bite
Dr. A and our teeth can examine your child’s oral and facial structures to determine if a nightguard is the right solution. Without proper treatment, your child can go on to develop more serious dental problems because of the increased wear and tear on their tooth enamel. They can also experience gum recession, which puts them at a greater risk for gum disease, as well as chronic jaw pain.
How to Tell if Your Child is a Good Candidate
Not all symptoms associated with bruxism are evident. One or more may become more prominent over time depending on lifestyle habits, daily stress factors, and other changes in your child’s oral development. If your child exhibits any of the following symptoms, it is best if you call and schedule an appointment with Dr. A as soon as possible:
- Increased facial pain, especially around the jaw joints (TMJ)
- Regular headaches
- Painful jaw muscles
- Sensitivity to hot and/or cold beverages
- Excessive wear and tear on tooth enamel
- Increased swelling around the jaw
- Tooth chips or cracks
Benefits of a Nightguard
Looking out for your child’s best interest is what all parents aim to do. Although they may not fully know why they need to wear a nightguard, it is important that our team work closely with you to help them understand why this custom-made, protective oral device is necessary to keep their teeth and jaw healthy and free of pain.
A few of the benefits you can explain to your child include:
- They Protect Their Teeth: If your child is clenching while sleeping or grinding their teeth, a nightguard will prevent this from happening by keeping their teeth from touching and moving against each other during the night.
- They Encourage a Healthier Smile: By better protecting their teeth, you can reiterate that these oral devices will assist in keeping their teeth healthier for longer. As tooth enamel thins over time, it can increase their risk for chips, breaks, and stains. By keeping the enamel strong with a nightguard, their smile will remain damage-free for many years.
- They Are Customized: Your child will not need to worry about wearing an appliance that is uncomfortable or bulky. Instead, your child’s dentist will craft a unique device that fits comfortably inside the mouth and ensures maximum protection.